Whilst on your sailing holiday in the Ionian, you will experience many different forms of mooring which you may not be used to. Below we have set out the various techniques which will be useful for you.
The most important aspects to remember when mooring the yacht are:
- take your time
- communicate clearly to all the crew what you are planning on doing and allocate the jobs clearly
- prepare the yacht in plenty of time (fenders, dinghy, anchor, mooring warps, music off, tidy the cockpit, tidy the lines)
- consider the wind direction and strength
- devise some hand signals to aid communication along the length of the yacht
- only the skipper should be giving out orders to the crew
- skipper – stay on the helm and cover the throttle at all times and keep watch for hazards in the water (swimmers, lines, buoys)
- take her in as slow as the conditions allow.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us!